Thursday, February 13, 2014

Greyson is 1 Month Already!

I find myself saying this all too often, but time is flying by. Our lil man is already a month old...how did that happen! I guess when you're in pure survival mode, spending all day and night trying to learn what a newborn needs and fitting in time with a 3 year old, it can easily slip away!

Greyson has definitely kept us on our toes and proved to be a challenging little guy this first month. When he was born he had the same breastfeeding problems as Raegan - I call it small mouth syndrome! They ended up cutting his frenulum to see if that would help him get his tongue out further. It didn't seem to change things much, so I opted to use a nipple shield to protect myself and continue with the breastfeeding. He seemed to take to it well and we did good for a while. The big hiccup was we couldn't figure out why he was so gassy. The poor guy would cry all day and night. If he wasn't sleeping or eating he was screaming and so incredibly uncomfortable. We tried it all - gas drops, diet changes, etc. and nothing worked.

At my breaking point, I stopped using the nipple shield and he seemed to be an entirely new baby! Apparently he was getting in so much air through the shield that it was causing excess gas. Thankfully, he had learned how to breastfeed effectively and I no longer needed to use the shield. I thought that was a solid cure, but the poor guy is still a gassy one, but no where near how bad it was before. It has changed things for the better overall, but we still find ourselves searching for ways to rid him of his gas. Poor lil man!

My recovery is going great and I feel amazing! The first 2 weeks were tough with Raegan around, but overall I am feeling more and more normal every day. Thankfully I can now move around more and can do more with Raegan. I think that was the hardest thing for her to understand, but we got through it. And since I was feeling so great, we did a lot more than I thought we would this month - we went out to a party at a friend's house, visited co-workers and took a trip to Folsom lake. Greyson was a trooper and did okay for the most part. It is a challenge to go out in public when you're still learning how to care for the little one, but we all survived! He'll need to get used to all the outings anyhow, so we started him early! 


We also had the opportunity in his first month to get some professional photos taken. They turned out far better than I could ever imagine and we're so excited to have captured both him and Raegan in the beautiful shots!

This month was a normal challenge when you have a newborn and I think we all adjusted well. We're still learning, but we are enjoying it all!  




No comments:

Post a Comment