Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Unsolicited Advice

So I've read in a few books that strangers love to 1. touch a pregnant woman's belly and 2. give advice on pregnancy and/or parenting. Apparently now that I'm large and in charge and the belly is more obvious, I've received my first piece of unsolicited advice - from a very unsuspecting older gentleman who I would never think would want to sit and chat with me for 10 minutes! Apparently he was a former lamaze coach and is very knowledgeable in this area - this from him, not me.

His advice:

1. Don't chew gum! He tells me this while I am of course chomping away at the piece in my mouth and I feel obligated to spit it out in my hand and throw it away despite enjoying it ever so much. Apparently it produces acid and disguises my hunger, keeping me from providing my little one with the nutrients she needs. He was shocked and appalled that my doctors did not tell me this right away. Interesting.

2. I'm not "eating for two" but "drinking for two." Now this gentleman was of foreign descent, so I had a hard time following what he meant by this, but I think he was telling me to lay off the food and stick to healthy beverages. But, I'm not sure if he was trying to sell me one of his fruit smoothies since I was in his shop or telling me to lay off the food because I'm bigger than I should be! Who knows.

3. Lastly, he told me to roll the balls of my feet on a ball every night to help alleviate back pain. He said it would help relieve some of the pressure that can build up as you get bigger in your pregnancy. He also advised to tell "whoever did this to me" to massage my feet. So, this one piece of advice I will listen to and tell that man called Hayden - the one who did this to me - to massage my feet every night - Mr. Smoothie-man's orders!

I have to say that as uncomfortable as this conversation was it was quite entertaining and I just had to share!

1 comment:

  1. That's a bit creepy... But at least you get some good foot rubs! Good advice Mr. Smoothie Man! How many unsolicited touches of her belly does it take to que those raging prego emotions? Anyone? ;)

    - Kim

    ReplyDelete